(Below in italics is from the National Register listing; not verified for accuracy by this author.)
Ten large rooms on two floors provide more than 3,000 square feet of living space in this finely decorated Foursquare constructed in 1926. Except for the weatherboarded exterior now covered with aluminum siding, the house is almost identical to another Durham house designed by Rose and Rose, Architects, and may have been designed by the same firm. Brackets in all of the eaves, panelled box pylons on brick plinths, as well as the curved attic dormer characterize the house. Rich corner molding decorates the first-floor rooms arraigned in a center hall plan. The earliest known occupant of the house was L. Philip Hazel, a real estate agent who maintained an office in his home and may have had the house constructed. Although Mr. and Mrs Edgar D. Williams lived here during the late 1930s and early 1940s, the house is more popularly known for Mr. and Mrs. J. Allen Murdoch who lived here during the 1940s and 1950s. Murdoch was president and treasurer of Murdoch Ice and Coal Company, Inc.