Photograph taken by Heather Slane, National Historic District Submission, January 2018
Likely constructed as a simple, front-gabled Minimal Traditional-style form, this house has been significantly altered with the partial enclosure of the front porch, the alteration of the entrance bay, and the construction of a shed-roofed wing on the right (east) elevation. The original form of the house was two bays wide and double-pile with asbestos siding and flush eaves and a side-gabled wing on the left (west) elevation. An entrance near the left end of the original two-bay section features a replacement door, inset within a projecting, front-gabled concrete-block bay with an arched opening on its front and vinyl siding within the bay. An original, projecting front-gabled bay on the right end of the façade is obscured by a hip-roofed porch that extends the full width of the façade and the full depth of the right elevation. The right end of the porch, in front of the gable, is enclosed with wood lattice over a fiber-cement-sided half wall. The front two-thirds of the right elevation has grouped clerestory windows over a high brick veneer, though the rear one-third retains exposed asbestos siding. The side-gabled wing on the left elevation, flush with the façade has asbestos siding, two-over-two horizontal-pane wood-sash windows, and an exterior brick chimney on the façade. It is sheltered by the hip-roofed porch supported by decorative metal posts. The wing is single-pile with a group of three windows in the left gable. A later wood accessible ramp is located on the left elevation. The earliest known occupants are Joseph H. Taylor and his wife, Lucille Taylor, both professors at North Carolina College (later North Carolina Central University), in 1945. It was later occupied by Reverend R. E. Page.
According the county deed records, O.Wendell White and his wife, Edna F. White, sold one lot to J.H. Taylor and L.S. Taylor on September 19, 1940. On July 19, 1941, North Carolina Mutual Life Insurance Company, sold the lot next door to the Taylors. The 1945 City Directory shows Joseph H. Taylor and and his wife, Lucille, as owners and residents of this property. The Taylors lived in the house until it was sold to R.E. Page and Catherine Page on December 30, 1971.
Court records show that the children of Reverend Page and Catherine Page maintained ownership of the property. Ira H. Page died on January 1986 and Mildren P. Page died on February 15, 2003. Deed records show that Donald Page was appointed trustee and the property of Ira and Mildred was left to Donald I. Page and Janice Page Scarborough.
The house was unoccupied for several years and on August 8, 1991, the City of Durham deemed the residence as unhabitable. The house was repaired later and tenants resided there. Ownership remained in the Page family.
On November 26, 1997, Reatha M. Page bought the home from Ida R. Page, Reatha M. Page, Robert L. Page and his wife, Reva M. Page, Catherine Page, Lila Renee LaBennett and her husband, Richard LaBennett (tenants in common). For the past several years, the house has been rental property and ownership remaining in the Page family.