This one-and-a-half story, side-gabled Period Cottage is located on a large lot on the northwest corner of Lincoln and Dupree Streets. It is three bays wide and triple-pile with full-width, shed-roofed dormers across the façade and rear elevation. There is a one-story, gabled wing on the north end of the house, and a two-story, shed-roofed ell at the rear. The building has a brick foundation and brick veneer at the first floor level. The second floor, dormers, and entrance bay are covered with aluminum siding. The entrance is located in a projecting bay with a very tall, steeply-pitched, gabled roof and a narrow window at the second floor level; the replacement front door is sheltered by an arched wood hood with decorative consoles and is accessed by a brick stoop and stair with metal railing. The house has six-over-six, double-hung wood sash windows throughout. A partially engaged porch extends across the left side of the façade and is supported by large Tuscan columns. A shed-roofed porch at the rear is supported by matching columns. The site slopes to the rear to expose a garage at the basement level. A low, stone wall extends across the front and south sides of the property; stone steps and a slate walk lead to the front entrance. The earliest known occupant is Asa T. Spaulding (actuary, N C Mutual Life Insurance Company) in 1940; county tax records date the building to 1936 and the building appears on the 1937 Sanborn map. The home is still owned by the Spaulding family as of 2012.
Living in this house with his wife Elna, Spaulding rose the ranks to become President of NC Mutual and a highly influential leader on both a local and national scale. See more on his bio page.