2112 DUNCAN STREET

2112 DUNCAN STREET

2112
,
Durham
NC
Built in
1950-1955
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
National Register: 
Neighborhood: 
Type: 

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

  • This building does not appear in any tours yet.

Last updated

Comments

2112
,
Durham
NC
Built in
1950-1955
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
National Register: 
Neighborhood: 
Type: 

 

December 2017, Photo by Heather Slane - hmwPreservation
 

The National Register Historic District application for College Heights describes this as a "one-story, side-gabled Minimal Traditional-style house is three bays wide and double-pile with vinyl siding and windows and rectangular louvered vents in the gables. A two-light-over-four-panel door centered on the façade is sheltered by a front-gabled porch on square posts. To the left (south) of the entrance is a picture window flanked by one-over-one windows. A projecting, side-gabled bay on the left elevation is flush with the façade."

The application dates the house from 1955, however the earliest known occupant - Helen G. Clement, a supervisor at NC Mutual Life Insurance Company - purchased the land in 1950.  It is likely she had the home built in the years that followed, before selling it in 1955.  Ms. Clement was unmarried and without children.  She was the older sister of William A. Clement, agent director at North Carolina Mutual Life Insurance Company, who lived 206 Pekoe Avenue in College Heights. 

In late 1950s, Harry B. Edmonds, a teacher at Merrick Moore High School, and his wife, Rebecca, a registrar at North Carolina College (now North Carolina Central University), with their two children, moved into the house and stayed until early 1963.  At that time, they moved into their new home in College Heights at 1903 Cecil Street.  In 1963, occupants were Robert Lewis, a teller at Mechanics and Farmers Bank, and his wife, Dr. Willa Lewis, a professor in the physical education department at North Carolina College (later North Carolina Central University).  After the Lewises moved into their new home in Emorywood Estates in 1968, Willie Banks, a teller at Mechanics and Farmers Bank, and his wife, Shelley, a school teacher, were the new residents until 1970.  The house had other tenants until it was sold.  The property was sold in 2007 to Antoine Carnes and his wife, Tamara Carnes.  They purchased the house as an investment and it has remained rental property.

Add new comment