305 WEST PETTIGREW / PEABODY DRUG COMPANY

/sites/default/files/images/2008_1/305Pettigrew_SW_1965.jpg/sites/default/files/images/2008_1/CarrSt_NW_1880s.jpg/sites/default/files/images/2008_1/300WPettigrew_SW_1920s.jpg/sites/default/files/images/2008_1/WestPettigrew_SW_062557.jpg/sites/default/files/images/2008_1/WPettigrew_SW_081257.jpg

305 WEST PETTIGREW / PEABODY DRUG COMPANY

305
,
Durham
NC
Built in
1924
/ Demolished in
1967
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
,
,
Neighborhood: 
Type: 

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

  • This building does not appear in any tours yet.

Last updated

  • Mon, 09/05/2011 - 12:04am by gary

Location

35° 59' 44.5488" N, 78° 54' 17.6652" W

Comments

305
,
Durham
NC
Built in
1924
/ Demolished in
1967
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
,
,
Neighborhood: 
Type: 

 


Peabody Drug Co, looking southwest, 1965.
(Courtesy Durham County Library)

305 West Pettigrew was initially one of the small houses built just east of the Blackwell factory in the 1880s. In 1926, this house was torn down for a new building for the Peabody Drug Co., which had started its life in the 100 block of East Peabody Street in 1907. The new structure was referred to as the "Goodall Building," though I don't know why.


Looking southwest, mid-1920s. You can see the new brick structure under construction between the two houses.

A mid-century invoice for the company shows that they were a wholesaler for various pharmcacy goods, including Vaseline, Listerine, bandages, and good ol' Ex-Lax.


June 1957 view of the 300 bock of West Pettigrew, with the brick structure visible to the right of the American Tobacco warehouses. (Notice the pre-loop area behind the buildings on West Main.
(Courtesy Herald-Sun)


An August 1957 view - not much of a different view of the building, but it shows the city grading the area behind West Main for a great big parking lot.
(Courtesy Herald-Sun)


Peabody Drug Co, looking southeast, 1965.
(Courtesy Durham County Library)


Peabody Drug Co, looking southwest, 1965.
(Courtesy Durham County Library)

The Peabody Drug Co. was torn down as part of urban renewal. This was a parking lot for American Tobacco, and then just a fairly empty lot for years - until the city built a deck for the American Tobacco renovation on this spot in 2004 (?).


Looking southwest, November 2007.

Add new comment