Three brothers from Kiev, Moses, Samuel, and Louis Gladstein were part of the early Jewish immigration to Durham. Moses came to Durham to work in the cigarette business, and established a 5 and 10 cents store / dry goods store on East Main Street by the 1890s and Louis and Samuel Gladstein had established a clothing store (L&S Gladstein at 108 East Main Street) by the first decade of the 20th century. (Louis was born in 1880, Samuel in 1883.)
The Gladsteins all lived along Pine Street in the late 19th and early 20th century (still there in 1907) - the early focus for Jewish settlement in Durham. This area became more predominantly African-American in the 1910s-1920s, and Jewish families (as well as Greek families) moved into the area between North Roxboro and Holloway Streets. By 1915, Moses lived at 608 North Roxboro, Louis at 306 Gray, and Sam at 309 Gray. By 1919, Sam is listed at 307 Gray. All are listed as working at Moses Gladstein dry goods at 108 East Main. In the 1920s, Moses
By the 1940s, Louis had moved to 807 North Mangum, and had a store at 1112 Angier Avenue. He died in 1943. His son Melvin went on to open Gladstein's clothing at 207-209 North Mangum.