This two-story, Craftsman-style duplex is one of the largest homes on N. Queen Street, anchoring the intersection of N. Queen Street and Carlton Avenue. The building is four bays wide and double-pile with a brick foundation, German-profile siding, and an asphalt-shingled hipped roof with an interior brick chimney and a hip-roofed front dormer. A one-story, hip-roofed porch extends across the front elevation with a low, pedimented gable above the entrance. The porch is supported by battered wood posts on brick piers with granite caps and original wood rails. The house has four-over-one Craftsman-style windows with three-light casement windows in the dormer. Two original French doors and a two-story gabled rear ell with symmetrical one-story, shed-roofed wings on either side further indicate that the house was constructed as a multi-family unit.
The land was sold to telegraph operator Robert M. Jones and his wife Elizabeth in 1929 - at that time, it likely included the present (2012) parcels of 408 and 406 N. Queen. These were not subdivided from 402 N. Queen until 1939. City directories and deeds seem to indicate that Jones and his wife built and lived in the house during the 1930s, renting out one side. of the duplex. By 1942, the Joneses lived at 403 N. Queen; at the time of subdivision in 1939, the larger 402 N. Queen property belonged to WF and RP Rogers. It remains a rental/multifamily structure as of 2012.