1891 Bird's Eye View of Durham, looking northwest.
(Courtesy Duke Rare Book and Manuscript Collection / Digital Durham)
The 400 block of South Street, extending south to Proctor St., was developed early in Durham's history, along with the adjacent McMannen St. - part of the north-south ridgeline extending south from Durham major NW-SE ridge. The houses were more sizable than those to the southwest, but not as embellished as those that came to be built on McMannen St.
The 400 block of South Street extended from Tatum Place south to Proctor Street.
This block was demolished by the city of Durham using Federal urban renewal funds in the late 1960s. The northernmost portion of this block became part of an American Tobacco Company parking lot; the southernmost portion was absorbed by the Durham Freeway.