From the National Register Nomination (1985):
517 Holloway Street -This foursquare house resembles the Scanlon House in its side-hall plan and elongated form and the Kirkland House in its upper fenestration on the main facade. An imposing wraparound porch with heavy box posts on random-coursed ashlar plinths shelters an entrance with:a trabeated surround. Robert M. Jones, who lived at 521 Holloway, con- structed this house as a speculative venture in the late 1910s; it replaced a much older, one-story house visible in the 1891 Bird's-Eye View of Durham. John R. Holloway, believed to have purchased it from Jones, was the long- time owner of this house. He was secretary and treasurer of the N. C. Joint Stock Land Bank and treasurer of the Durham Bond and Mortgage Company and the Mortgage Securities Corporation. Recently the exterior was restored when the house was converted to apartments.