517 WARREN STREET

/sites/default/files/images/2008_3/517Warren_1965.jpg/sites/default/files/images/2008_3/WarrenAerial_1948.jpg/sites/default/files/images/2008_3/Willard_Warren_N_1967.jpg/sites/default/files/images/2008_3/500Warren_E_021008.jpg

517 WARREN STREET

517
,
Durham
NC
Built in
1890-1920
/ Demolished in
1967
Construction type: 
Neighborhood: 
Type: 
Use: 

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

  • This building does not appear in any tours yet.

Last updated

  • Wed, 06/12/2013 - 2:02pm by gary

Comments

517
,
Durham
NC
Built in
1890-1920
/ Demolished in
1967
Construction type: 
Neighborhood: 
Type: 
Use: 

 

Warren Street ran just to the west of the old Morhead School, between Jackson Street and Willard Street, which it met at an acute angle.

The eastern side of the street consisted of relatively few houses, given the presence of the Morehead School to the north and two American Tobacco warehouses to the south. But between Portland Avenue and the playground of the Morehead School were 6 houses. 


517 Warren, 1965.
(Courtesy Durham County Library)

Rudolph Kueffner lived in the house from at least 1920 to 1934; he worked for the Durham Hosiery Mills in their dyeing operations.

Warren Street is visible to the south (right foreground) of the school

(Courtesy Herald-Sun)
These houses, and everything else around them, were torn down in 1967 by the city using urban renewal funds.


Looking north up Warren Street, 1967. The side gable of 527 Warren is visible on the right side of the street.
(Courtesy Herald-Sun)

Warren Street was closed to form a great big parcel for the Alexander Ford Motor company - renewal, indeed.


Looking east at where the 500 block of Warren St. used to be (the houses would have been about where the white warehouses are) 02.10.08

Add new comment