534-536 EAST PETTIGREW

/sites/default/files/images/2008_9/500EPettigrew_S_1940.jpg/sites/default/files/images/2008_9/526-532EPettigrew3.jpg/sites/default/files/images/2008_9/520-30EPettigrew_SW.jpg/sites/default/files/images/2008_9/534-536EPettigrew_090408.jpg

534-536 EAST PETTIGREW

534-536
,
Durham
NC
Built in
~1940
/ Demolished in
1970
Construction type: 
Neighborhood: 
Type: 

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

  • This building does not appear in any tours yet.

Last updated

  • Wed, 08/17/2011 - 10:41am by gary

Comments

534-536
,
Durham
NC
Built in
~1940
/ Demolished in
1970
Construction type: 
Neighborhood: 
Type: 

 


(Courtesy State Archives)
Looking south towards the block of East Pettigrew between Henry Alley (intersecting street on the right) and Cozart St. (intersecting street next to Speight's service station, on the left) - ~1940s.

534-536 East Pettigrew appears to have been built in ~1940. 536 initially housed Green Inn Fruit and Produce, followed by McNeill Produce in 1947. By 1950, Pettiford Grocery had opened in 534, and the Royal Sport Shop in 536. 536 became McClain's Seafood and Poultry Market by 1954, which closed by 1961. It remained vacant from that point forward.


534 East Pettigrew, Pettiford Market, ~1970.
(Courtesy Durham County Library / North Carolina Collection)


A long shot looking west down the block, ~1970 - 534-536 is being demolished.
(Courtesy Durham County Library / North Carolina Collection)

The site has remained vacant land since ~1970.


534-536 East Pettigrew, 09.04.08

Find this spot on a Google Map

35.98877 -78.896899

Add new comment