544 EAST PETTIGREW

/sites/default/files/images/2008_9/500EPettigrew_S_1940.jpg/sites/default/files/images/2008_9/536-544EPettigrew.jpg/sites/default/files/images/2008_9/542EPettigrew_GreenCandle.jpg/sites/default/files/images/2008_9/544EastPettigrew_090408.jpg/sites/default/files/images/2008_9/HaytiStreets.jpg

544 EAST PETTIGREW

544
,
Durham
NC
Cross street: 
Built in
1930s
/ Demolished in
~1969-1970
Construction type: 
Neighborhood: 
Type: 

Comments

  • Submitted by Jon on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 10:47am

    Love the painted advertisements on the side of the building.

Add new comment

In tours

  • This building does not appear in any tours yet.

Last updated

  • Thu, 07/28/2011 - 12:25pm by gary

Comments

544
,
Durham
NC
Cross street: 
Built in
1930s
/ Demolished in
~1969-1970
Construction type: 
Neighborhood: 
Type: 

 


(Courtesy State of North Carolina Archives)

Block of East Pettigrew between Henry Alley (intersecting street on the right) and Cozart St. (intersecting street next to Speight's service station, on the left) - ~1940s. 544 East Pettigrew is the two-story structure to the right of Cozart Street.

544 East Pettigrew St., located on the southwest corner of East Pettigrew St. and Cozart Alley/Street was built in the 1930s and housed Levy's Grocery until ~1957. By 1959, it housed Steele Beauty Salon, which had become Thorpe's Barber Shop by 1961.


544 East Pettigrew, the leftmost building.
(Courtesy Durham County Library / North Carolina Collection)

The structure was torn down ~1969-1970.


Looking west, 544 East Pettigrew has been demolished.
(Courtesy Durham County Library / North Carolina Collection)

The land has been vacant since that time.


Site of 544 East Pettigrew, 09.04.08.


An overlay map showing the streets of Hayti overlaid on 2007 satellite imagery.

Find this spot on a Google Map

35.9884 -78.896819

Comments

Love the painted advertisements on the side of the building.

Add new comment