One-story, triple-A-roofed house with some original Queen Anne detail has a gabled rear ell and a shed-roofed block within the ell. It has imbricated shingles and gable vents with pointed-arched surrounds in the three gables. Sheathed in German-profile wood siding, the house has replacement six-over-six wood windows with simple square surrounds replacing the original pointed-arched lintels. The reconstructed front porch has replacement posts and rails and a concrete floor. A brick pier and curtain foundation supports the structure, which has an asphalt- shingled roof.
The earliest residents were Fred C. Conklin (Herring Furniture Company) and Miss Bula Wheeler (clipper) in 1907/08. From 1911 to 1915, Samuel C. Southerland (engineer), Mary Southerland, Carl Southerland (clerk, Durham Hosiery Mills), and William A. Southerland (clerk) resided there.