ANGIER-SATTERFIELD-KREPS HOUSE / CENTER FOR DOCUMENTARY STUDIES

angier-satterfield_cfds_1920.jpeg/sites/default/files/images/2009_7/WestPettigrew_BE_1950s.jpg/sites/default/files/images/2009_7/angiersatterfieldhouse_1980.jpg/sites/default/files/images/2009_7/ASHouse_move1.jpg/sites/default/files/images/2009_7/ASHouse_move2.jpg

ANGIER-SATTERFIELD-KREPS HOUSE / CENTER FOR DOCUMENTARY STUDIES

1317
,
Durham
NC
Cross street: 
Built in
1880-1885
/ Modified in
1990
Construction type: 
Neighborhood: 
Type: 

Comments

  • Submitted by doodlebug on Friday, July 24, 2009 - 8:46pm

    A photo gallery giving some history of the house and showing the move to its present location can be viewed on the Center for Documentary Studies website at http://cds.aas.duke.edu/about/lyndhursthouse/gallery.html. The Lyndhurst House designation is made in honor of the Lyndhurst Foundation of Chattanooga, which gave the original endowment to found the Center for Documentary Studies at Duke University in 1989.

Add new comment

In tours

  • This building does not appear in any tours yet.

Last updated

  • Wed, 08/17/2011 - 1:33pm by gary

Location

36° 0' 15.8004" N, 78° 55' 7.8636" W

Comments

1317
,
Durham
NC
Cross street: 
Built in
1880-1885
/ Modified in
1990
Construction type: 
Neighborhood: 
Type: 

 

angier-satterfield_cfds_1920.jpeg
Rear of the Angier-Satterfield House, 1920s.
(Courtesy Durham County Library / North Carolina Collection)

The house at West Pettigrew Street was built by John Angier, president of the Cary Lumber Company, located ~ 2 blocks east of his house in the early 1880s, making it among the earliest of the large houses constructed along this stretch of West Pettigrew St. Angier married Lyla Duke, a niece of Washington Duke, in 1880, and built the house soon thereafter.

(The Center for Documentary Studies gives an alternative version of the house's origin, stating that Ben Duke purchased a pre-existing farmhouse that had been the property of the Watkins family, renovating and giving the house to his cousin Lyla Duke and her husband John Angier in 1898.)

Lyla Duke Angier was the first president of the Women's Auxiliary of the Salvation Army, organizer of the Mother's Army and Navy Club during World War II, secretary of the Durham Red Cross, and first woman elected to the board an board of trustees of Duke Memorial Methodist.

After John Angier's death, Lyla Angier lived in the house until she moved to 106 North Buchanan Blvd. in 1910, giving the house to her daughter Carlotta Angier. Carlotta married Henry Satterfield, who became president of the Cary Lumber Company after the death of John Angier.


Angier-Satterfield house in the foreground, looking northwest, 1950s.
(Courtesy The Herald-Sun Newspaper)

Carlotta Angier Satterfield was still living in the house by the mid-1950s. During the 1960s, Duke University purchased the house and renovated it for occupancy by the dean of the Women's College (now East Campus) Margaret Ball.

By the 1970s, the home was occupied by Juanita and Clifton Kreps. Juanita Kreps taught at myriad institutions, including Duke, before becoming US Secretary of Commerce from January 23, 1977 until October 31, 1979 under President Jimmy Carter - the first woman to hold the position. While at Duke, she became the first female vice president of the university, and later became the first female board member of the New York Stock Exchange.


Angier-Satterfield House, 1980.

On March 8, 1990, Duke moved the house east, across Powe St. for use by Duke Center for Documentary Studies. Hillcrest expanded to the east, onto the land occupied by the Angier-Satterfield house.


(Courtesy Duke Center for Documentary Studies)


(Courtesy Duke Center for Documentary Studies)


(Courtesy Duke Center for Documentary Studies)


(Courtesy Duke Center for Documentary Studies)

You can see more photos of the move here

The was then renovated extensively for the Center for Documentary Studies. They refer to the house as the Lyndhurst House, after the Lyndhurst Foundation of Chattanooga, which gave the original endowment to found the CDS in 1989.

Additions to the southeast in 1997 greatly expanded the footprint of the Center. The Center is a great asset for Duke and Durham; it's wonderful to see an adaptive reuse of a structure such as this, particularly one which puts Duke Students in a venue located on an actual city street.


Angier-Satterfield House, 04.24.09

Find original location on a Google Map.

Find current location on a Google Map.

36.004186,-78.91811

Comments

A photo gallery giving some history of the house and showing the move to its present location can be viewed on the Center for Documentary Studies website at http://cds.aas.duke.edu/about/lyndhursthouse/gallery.html. The Lyndhurst House designation is made in honor of the Lyndhurst Foundation of Chattanooga, which gave the original endowment to found the Center for Documentary Studies at Duke University in 1989.

Add new comment