3005 Norwich Way, 1928, ca. 1950, Contributing Building
One-and-a-half-story, side-gabled, skintled brick Tudor Revival house with projecting intersecting front gable, steeply pitched slate roofs, and round-arched entry with stone surround and recessed front door; inset gabled dormers; 6/6 sash; circa 1950 flat-roofed addition and carport stand at rear.
According to deeds and city directories, William F. Franck, an officer and the manager of the Sharpe Insurance and Real Estate Company bought this parcel in February 1927 and built this house. An advertisement in the November 27, 1927, Durham Morning Herald noted that the house was planned but not yet under construction in late 1927.
Franck encountered financial difficulties in the early 1930s and lost the house to foreclosure. Duke Medical School Dean Wilburt Davison, who lived across the street (house no longer extant), purchased the Franck House at auction. He rented it to Clement Hayes, who had built and sold the house at 3102 Devon Road, until 1943, when Davison sold the house to his colleague McDonald Dick.
Dr. Dick, a Duke Hospital physician and medical school professor, lived here with his wife Mary and their two children.