MARY B. AND JOHN M. GREGORY HOUSE

509.jpg

MARY B. AND JOHN M. GREGORY HOUSE

509
,
Durham
NC
Built in
1950
Architectural style: 
,
Construction type: 
National Register: 
Neighborhood: 
Type: 
Use: 

Large side-gabled Ranch house with asbestos siding, 2-over-2 horizontal sash windows, a recessed door with a brick planter, and interior chimney. John M. Gregory, president of Gregory Real Estate, was owner-occupant in 1955.

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

  • This building does not appear in any tours yet.

Last updated

Comments

509
,
Durham
NC
Built in
1950
Architectural style: 
,
Construction type: 
National Register: 
Neighborhood: 
Type: 
Use: 

 

509.jpg

From the National Register nomination form of 2005, completed by M. Ruth Little

Large side-gabled Ranch house with asbestos siding, 2-over-2 horizontal sash windows, a recessed door with a brick planter, and interior chimney. The right bay has a pedimented porch that may have been added in place of the original garage door. John M. Gregory, president of Gregory Real Estate, was owner-occupant in 1955. [1955 CD]

Freestanding wooden carport.

The following information comes from the City Directories and general web searching:

Year Occupant(s) Occupation(s) Other information
1950 Mary B. Gregory John M. Gregory   president/treasurer John owned Gregory Real Estate, located at 221 Trust Building.
1963 (vacant)        
1964 Suzanne W. Godwin Cecil R. Godwin, Jr. author salesman, VP Cecil worked for Coman Lumber, located at 912 Ramseur Street. Suzanne and Cecil later moved around the block to 504 East Forest Hills Boulevard.
1992 Lisa London William L. London, III attorney    
1995 Kathleen Holmes Robin & Virginia Holmes veterinarian    
1997 Elizabeth A. Lee Ruth R. Lee manager    
2002 Anastasia Balius Jason F. Balius physician restaurant owner Anastasia specialized in radiology and interventional oncology, while Jason owned the Mad Hatter's Cafe and Bake Shop, located at 1802 West Main Street.  The Baliuses later purchased other Forest Hills homes at 52 Beverly Drive and then 1810 Cedar Street.
2003 Susan R. Mehok Matthew W. Mehok      

 

Add new comment