2814 Chelsea Circle, ca. 1800, moved and expanded 1927, Contributing Building
George Watts Carr, architect for 1927 additions
Distinct early form and finishes of this two-story, side-gabled, Federal-style dwelling with weatherboard exterior contrast with the other houses in Hope Valley; main block dates to circa 1800 and features 6/6 sash and a central classical entrance; flanking one-and-a-half-story front-gabled wings each have frieze at cornice embellished with triglyphs, mutules, and diamond metopes, neoclassical entrance, and shed- roofed side porch; 6/6 sash date to just after the house was moved in 1927. The house originally stood south of this location on Hope Valley Road, where it was the center of George Shepherd’s farm. Shepherd, who died in 1888, was likely not the original owner, since construction details on the elevation facing the golf course, such as the trabeated surround at the entrance and horizontal flush boards sheathing the wall beneath the shed roof, indicate that the house was built around the turn of the nineteenth century. Hope Valley developer Jesse Mebane moved the house to Chelsea Circle and expanded it in 1927 as the neighborhood was being initially developed. Robert W. Carr reports that his father, George Watts Carr, designed the 1927 additions to the house.
Guesthouse and Garage
2814 Chelsea Circle, ca. 1927, Contributing Building
One-and-a-half-story, side-gabled guesthouse with weatherboard sheathing, six-over-six sash, French doors beneath bracketed shed-roof porch, and single-bay garage at west end.