TYRIE VAN ARSDALL HOUSE

421.jpg

TYRIE VAN ARSDALL HOUSE

421
,
Durham
NC
Built in
1950
/ Modified in
1960
Architectural style: 
National Register: 
Neighborhood: 
Type: 
Use: 

2-story side-gable Colonial Revival-style house with exterior end chimney, left side 1-story wing, a door with pilasters and a blind fanlight, and 6-over-6 sash windows. At right is a recessed attached garage. Tyrie Van Arsdall, with the U.S. Navy, was the occupant in 1950.

Comments

  • Submitted by avanars on Tuesday, March 17, 2020 - 12:00pm

    The occupant in 1950 was not Tyrie Van Arsdall, but Clyde James Van Arsdall, Jr., USN. At the time his rank was commander, and he rose to be rear admiral in the US Navy. While he lived in the house, he was second in command at the NROTC unit at Duke University. Living with him was his wife, Polly Ann Austin Van Arsdall; daughter Anne, and sons C.J., III, and Robert Bernard Van Arsdall. The wing on the left side was not there in 1950.

Add new comment

In tours

  • This building does not appear in any tours yet.

Last updated

Location

United States
35° 58' 50.0412" N, 78° 54' 34.8516" W
US

Comments

421
,
Durham
NC
Built in
1950
/ Modified in
1960
Architectural style: 
National Register: 
Neighborhood: 
Type: 
Use: 

 

421.jpg

From the National Register nomination form of 2005, completed by M. Ruth Little

 

2-story side-gable Colonial Revival-style house with exterior end chimney, left side 1-story wing, a door with pilasters and a blind fanlight, and 6-over-6 sash windows. At right is a recessed attached garage. Vinyl siding. Tyrie Van Arsdall, with the U.S. Navy, was the occupant in 1950. [1950 CD]

 

Comments

The occupant in 1950 was not Tyrie Van Arsdall, but Clyde James Van Arsdall, Jr., USN. At the time his rank was commander, and he rose to be rear admiral in the US Navy. While he lived in the house, he was second in command at the NROTC unit at Duke University. Living with him was his wife, Polly Ann Austin Van Arsdall; daughter Anne, and sons C.J., III, and Robert Bernard Van Arsdall. The wing on the left side was not there in 1950.

Add new comment