Utility Plumbing was founded by Earl C. Walker - a master plumber - and operated as a family business, primarily based at 610 Fayetteville Street. Earl's sister Omelia, participated as a partner, while his mother, Bernice Walker, served as bookkeeper and business manager. He was also joined by his brothers Randolph and Norman, also master plumbers. The business provided plumbing and installation of fixtures for new commercial and residential housing projects in Durham. The above advertisement ran in the June 4, 1966, edition of The Carolina Times newspaper (available online via DigitalNC), celebrating the company's involvement in the outfitting of the new headquarters for Mutual Savings & Loan on West Parrish Street. He completed projects in Durham, the Triangle and surrounding areas. The company also concentrated on repairs, replacement of fixtures for existing residential and commercial locations.
Mr. Walker was a private consultant for the Duke University Medical Center Plumbing Department. For many years, he was a test examiner/grader on the North Carolina Plumbing Board of Examiners.
Mr. Walker was a graduate of Hampton Institute (now Hampton University), earning a degree in Industrial Education, with a concentration in Plumbing and Heating, in 1958. After completing his military duty in the United States Army and being honorably discharged, he returned to Durham and began his career at the Berry Company and later with Ace Plumbing Company before starting his own company..
Earl C. Walker, Family Photo Album
Bernice Walker, Family Photo Album