Blackwell Street

Blackwell Street was named after William T. Blackwell, who, with Julian Carr, enlarged John Green's tobacco company into an international corporation. (The Blackwell Bull Durham tobacco factory was built on the corner of Blackwell Street and West Pettigrew Street.) Blackwell Street first appears definitively on Gray's 1881 map of Durham as "Blackwell Avenue."

Blackwell Street extended southward to Morehead Avenue until the 1970s, when after construction of the Durham Freeway, an extension was built, bringing Blackwell Street south to Lakewood Avenue (mostly displacing the former Carrington Street.)

Added: Mon, 07/27/2015 - 3:53pm
By: gary
/sites/default/files/images/2013_4/dviii_041113.jpg
DIAMOND VIEW III (building)
Added: Thu, 04/11/2013 - 3:06pm
By: gary
americantobacco_NWfromBlackwell_1937.jpeg
Added: Tue, 09/27/2011 - 8:29pm
By: gary
/sites/default/files/images/2010_4/durhamstation_rrsurvey.jpg
Added: Tue, 04/13/2010 - 4:04am
By: gary
/sites/default/files/images/2008_8/matthewsstreet_081008.jpg
Added: Thu, 08/14/2008 - 4:03am
By: gary
/sites/default/files/images/2008_8/ABMorris_416Blackwell_1964.jpg
Added: Wed, 08/13/2008 - 4:01am
By: gary
americantobacco_1870s_2.jpeg
Added: Mon, 03/24/2008 - 4:00am
By: gary