South Alston Avenue

Alston Avenue is named for Absalom Alston; Jean Anderson recounts that Alston owned a large tract of land in the area now east of downtown Durham. In 1819, he sold 450 acres of land to William Dilliard, centered on the crossing of the Raleigh-Hillsborough Road and the Roxboro-Fayetteville Road.

On Lewis Blount's map of Durham in 1865, Alston Avenue exists only south of the railroad tracks, and is termed "Neighborhood Road, now Alston Avenue."

South Alston Avenue extends all the way south to RTP, ending at TW Alexander Drive. See also North Alston Avenue.

DSCN4109.JPG
Added: Sun, 11/11/2012 - 4:34pm
chathamknitting_sb1913.jpg
Added: Wed, 06/13/2012 - 6:48pm
By: gary
Added: Sun, 02/12/2012 - 6:11pm
By: gary
Added: Sun, 02/12/2012 - 6:09pm
By: gary
Added: Sat, 02/11/2012 - 10:54pm
By: gary
1102Gann_040869.jpg
1102 GANN STREET (building)
Added: Sat, 02/11/2012 - 2:23pm
By: gary
lowesgrovecreditunion_1916.jpg
Added: Sat, 12/31/2011 - 2:35pm
By: gary
RussellMemorial_040809.jpg
Added: Sat, 12/10/2011 - 11:18am
By: gary
114SAlston_undated.jpg
Added: Wed, 11/16/2011 - 8:00am
By: gary
/sites/default/files/images/2007_11/angierandalston_1950s.jpg
Added: Sun, 09/18/2011 - 9:23am
By: gary