FIRE STATION #5

/sites/default/files/images/2008_5/No.5FireStation_071460.jpg/sites/default/files/images/2008_5/Lakewood_FS5_aerial_1959.jpg/sites/default/files/images/2008_5/No.5FireStation_071460.jpg/sites/default/files/images/2008_5/FireStation5_050764.jpg/sites/default/files/images/2008_5/FireStation5_042608.jpg

FIRE STATION #5

1960
Architect/Designers:
Architectural style:

Comments

• Submitted by Anonymous on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 4:41pm

nice... it looked much better with the all-glass garage doors though!

• Submitted by Flyer on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 8:26pm

Still in its original station yes, but not the oldest station running. Station 2 would take that prize opening in 1951.

• Submitted by Flyer on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 8:27pm

• Submitted by Gary on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 8:35pm

Correct - that's why I said "in its original building." Station #2 started out here:

• Submitted by Anonymous on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 3:44am

i'm not a mid century modern guy myself, but you have to admit the font and aluminum letters on that thing are sweet!

also, gary, thanks for the aerial foto -- proof that the wisteria jungle between my house and the neighbors' was not always there. we're working on it :)

sean (2407 ch rd)

• Submitted by Gary on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 1:30am

Sean

I love the font/letters - FS4 on Fayettville (now thoroughly remuddled as the NCCU campus police station) had the same ones.

I think I saw you attacking the jungle this weekend as I drove by to take more pictures.

• Submitted by Anonymous on Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 5:05pm

I was born (1942) and raised on the block of 2200 Chapel Hill Rd.
    I remember watching them move the two story house where the fire station now sits. The house is now located behind the "store" on the opposite corner.
    When I was a child, the store was operated by the Hobby brothers. They later sold to Mr. Carroll.
    Mr. Carroll sold to "Pappy" Pickett.
    The Hobby brothers later operated a grill near Maplewood Cemetery (grill was segregated with two doors and areas).
    Mr. Carroll later operated a Sunoco service station on Chapel Hill Street.

• Submitted by Bob Matherly on Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 2:22pm

In the 60's I remember haveing good natured bottle rocket fights with the firemen. We bought the bottle rockets from picketts store right next door to the fire station.

• Wed, 03/13/2019 - 11:59pm by gary

Comments

1960
Architect/Designers:
Architectural style:

When Fire Station #5 opened in Lakewood in 1960, it was the first expansion of the number of fire stations in Durham since 1926, when station #4 had opened on McMannen St. Station #4 had been replaced in 1957 by a new station #4 on Fayetteville St., which appears to have been identical to Station 5.

The station displaced an earlier house on the corner of Ward St. and Chapel Hill Rd., for which I don't have a picture.

Aerial shot of Chapel Hill Road, 1959, showing the beginnings of construction of the fire station (at the intersection closest to the top of the picture.)

A brand new Fire Station #5, 07.14.60
(Courtesy The Herald-Sun Newspaper)

Fire Station #5, 05.07.64
(Courtesy The Herald-Sun Newspaper)

The station cost $90,000 to build, and when Durham made the rather strange move to a unified 'Public Safety Officer' rather than separate police and fire departments in the early 1970s, Station 5 was the first to make the switch. The city reverted to separate police and fire departments in 1985.

Station 5 remains in operation, and I think it is the oldest station still in its original building.

35.983522,-78.930914

Comments

nice... it looked much better with the all-glass garage doors though!

sean (2407 ch rd)

Sean

I was born (1942) and raised on the block of 2200 Chapel Hill Rd.
Mr. Carroll sold to "Pappy" Pickett.
Mr. Carroll later operated a Sunoco service station on Chapel Hill Street.