G. Murray Nelson was a Raleigh, NC-based architect.
In 1921 Thomas Wright Cooper formed a partnership with G. Murray Nelson to form G. Murray Nelson and Thomas W. Cooper (Nelson and Cooper). The firm designed several institutional buildings including Ricks Hall (ca. 1922) and the expansion of Leazar Hall (ca. 1922) at present North Carolina State University. Probably their best known work is the State Agriculture Building facing Capitol Square (1922-1923), a large stone-faced edifice of Beaux-Arts classical design subtly rendered to wrap around a key corner.
Cooper and Nelson also became recognized as residential design specialists producing stylish Colonial Revival houses for middle and upper class clients in Raleigh's expanding suburbs. With Nelson, and then alone, Cooper planned many of the fine residences in the prestigious Hayes-Barton suburb, the grandest of which is the Alfred Williams, Jr. House, a spectacularly sited replica of Mount Vernon, located at 901 Holt Drive.