2007 Preservation Durham Home Tour: "The Trinity Tour"
2007 Preservation Durham Home Tour: "The Trinity Tour"Submitted by gary on Sun, 12/18/2011 - 4:13pm
The East and West Duke Buildings were under design before the Washington Duke Building burned in 1911; the plan was already being developed to demolish Old Main and replace it with two new academic and administrative buildings. East Duke served as the administration building for Trinity College and, later, for the Women's College.
Built and furnished in 1898 with a donation from Benjamin N. Duke, the building was officially named the Angier B. Duke Gymnasium in honor of his son. The building is probably the first college gymnasium in the state. The building was the site of the second intercollegiate basketball game in the state, and should be considered the birthplace of Duke Basketball
922 Demerius St.
1200 West Markham Ave.
1516 West Markham