Durham Fire Department
Durham Fire DepartmentSubmitted by gary on Tue, 08/23/2011 - 6:14pm
The Durham Fire Department was established in ~1890 with the "Golden Belt Hose Company." The first station was located at Holloway and North Mangum Streets, in the core of downtown.
Fire Station #2 was built in the midst of the later Liggett and Myers (then American Tobacco) factory buildings on West Main Street in 1902
And in 1911, Fire Station #3 followed on the east side of downtown, at South Elizabeth and East Main
Durham would rely on these three fire stations until the mid-1920s.
In 1924, Fire Station # 1 was replaced with a new, Milburn and Heister-designed structure that was similar in style to the original.
And for the first time in 15 years, the number of stations would expand in 1926 with the construction of Station 4 on McMannen Street (later South Mangum Street,) serving the burgeoning neighborhoods south of downtown.
In 1950, the original Fire Station #2 was demolished, and a new Station 2 was built significantly farther west, in the core of West Durham on Ninth Street.
In 1957, Company 3 would move eastward on East Main Street to the core of East Durham, at East Main and South Driver.
And in that same year, Station 4 would relocated to Pekoe and Fayetteville
In 1960, the number of stations would expand again with the addition of Station 5 on Chapel Hill Road, in the Lakewood Park neighborhood
In 1964, Company 1 moved to a new Fire Station #1, although the 1924 station was not demolished - this 1964 station remains its home today.