"Milestones Along the Color Line"
"Milestones Along the Color Line"Submitted by gary on Mon, 06/18/2012 - 11:28am
Published by Olvier B. Quick - dated in 1922, but the buildings and residents appear to be ~mid-1920s, the introduction reads:
"This little book presents views showing property owned and controlled exclusively by Negroes in the city of Durham, NC. It is not a complete collection. There are other institutions and homes in the city equally as deserving of place in this book but lack of space prevents their showing. We have selected these as evidence of the progress being made by our race group in this section of the South." -OLIVER B. QUICK.
Durham's first African-American owned and operated textile operation, visited and praised by Booker T. Washington and WEB DuBois, then home to the Royal Knights of King David.
This two-story, hip-roofed Foursquare house is two bays wide and double-pile with two one-story, gabled rear ells. The earliest known occupant is Edward D. Green (grocer)
This two-story, hip-roofed house is three bays wide and four-pile with a two-story, projecting gabled bay on the north elevation. The earliest known occupant is John F. Williams (cleaner and presser) in 1925. It is currently a tri-plex.
One of the grand houses of the elite in the African-American community of the early 20th century in Durham, John Merrick's house later belonged to Dr. Clyde Donnell before being demolished in the early-to-mid 1960s.
The original boys' dormitory building, constructed in 1910, was the only original masonry structure on campus, serving in that capacity until 1937.
Part of the original 1910 campus of the National Religious Training School, the Dining Hall was destroyed by fire in January 1925.