Triangle Modernist Houses "Misc Durham" Tour
Triangle Modernist Houses "Misc Durham" TourSubmitted by gary on Sun, 12/11/2011 - 9:36pm
Built by Clyde and Eleanor H. Lloyd from mail-order plans, the house at 126 Nelson Street is unusual - a late application of the Art Moderne style, a definite deviation from the other brick ranches in the block in a traditionally African-American neighborhood. Sold in 2004 to James and Edwina Hunter.
The Alfred Henderson King House, 1617 Shawnee, Durham. Designed and built by T. W. Wilkinson in 1957. Essentially a multi-level ranch house in structure and style, the King House is four separate levels with a central stair, alternating back and forth between public and private areas. Sold to Nixon advisor Nicholas H. Morley, who used it while in town for the Durham Rice Diet. Sold to Walker L. and Martha Pruitt. Sold to 1978 to Jack and Judith M. Keene. Sold in 1987 to Michael and Rosalind Harris. Sold in 1990 to Victoria Mask.
According to their son, the Kimbles designed this house themselves, Built by James (Jimmy) Heizer of Heizer Construction.When the Kimbles moved to Colorado in 1968, they sold the house to Stanley Appel. Bought by current owners Bryan and Vicki Koon in 1977.
This is Plan X-50 by architect Rudolph A. Matern of Jamaica NY. When Mrs. Bradley died, Mr. Bradley moved out and later remarried. Was vacant for an extended time. Sold in 1985 to John and Sheryl A. Lubans. Renovation and addition in 1989.
The Stewart and Jane Alexander house was built by Jane Alexander's brother from Tennessee. This ranch brick house has a 2-story center block, slab floor, a flat roof, a recessed entrance, and a 1-story left side wing. In 2000, the house was sold to and renovated by Douglas "Casey" Herbert and Kathleen Bennett. The original architect is unknown, but Carrboro architect Giles Blunden designed replacement casement windows and a latticework brick wall that screens the original carport at the left side.
Rudin designed the house for passive solar and chose the lot for its southwest exposure. Framing by Robert Dykes. HVAC by Frank Dadderio. Sold in 1998 to Niall Hanley. Has a low voltage wiring system. For sale in 2011.
Designed by the original owner. Built by a man named Wallace, according to owner Walter Obrist. Sold many times. Addition in 1966. For sale in 2011.
The house has been in the family since construction. 1772 sf. For sale in 2011.
Sold to the City of Durham in 1984. Sold in 1985 to Lester and Therese Fahrner. Sold in 1985 to David M. and Gracie Welsh. Sold in 1991 to Larry H. and Nancy M. Rocamora.
Magazine plan chosen by Helen, may have been Better Homes and Gardens. Sold to Keith and Jill Kaye in 2000. Sold to Sally and David Vasbinder in July 2006. Renovations by Lee Tripi in late 2000s.
This is Plan P-907 from the plan book Encyclopedia of Home Designs 1967 by Master Plan Service, Inc. 3000 square feet. Sold in 2007 to Scott and Julie Hollenbeck. Sold in 2010 to Jina Park and Alan Russell.
The Kimbles designed this house for themselves, the second they had designed in the area, upon returning to North Carolina from Colorado. They lived here until they both passed away in 2006. Their son Jeffrey Kimble and his wife lived in the house until 2011, when it was sold to Lori McLean and Brian D Chisolm.
Olsen built it as a spec house, although he did live there a short time. Design/build by Bill Christopher and Matt Hosmer or ILM Design and Build of Wilmington. Sold May 2009 to current owners Derek Cornish and Sally White. Photos by ILM.
Designed by Christie with plans drawn by architect and builder John Hartley. She wrote a book about it, Green House, and as of 2009 was working on a sequel.