801 ONSLOW STREET – FRANCK HOUSE

/sites/default/files/images/u24/getPropertyImage(10).jpg

801 ONSLOW STREET – FRANCK HOUSE

801
,
Durham
NC
Cross street: 
Built in
1895-1905
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
Local historic district: 
National Register: 
Neighborhood: 
Type: 
Use: 

Comments

  • Submitted by dmeeknc on Saturday, October 9, 2021 - 11:03am

    Ms. Franck, founder of the Martha Franck Fragrance Garden on the campus of the Governor Morehead School for the Blind in Raleigh, lived in the house from 1939-1984, at which time it became the property of Duke University, who rented it out as student housing. It was later sold to us in 1999 as part of the Duke University Trinity Heights revitalization project that converted a number of existing student occupied houses to single family homes and added a number of new houses and condominiums for purchase by Duke employees. The current owners added a number of interior amenities, while maintaining the character of the original aesthetics both inside and on the exterior. The house was featured in the 2007 Preservation Durham 11th Annual Old Durham Tour.

Add new comment

In tours

  • This building does not appear in any tours yet.

Last updated

Comments

801
,
Durham
NC
Cross street: 
Built in
1895-1905
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
Local historic district: 
National Register: 
Neighborhood: 
Type: 
Use: 

 

(Below in italics is from the National Register listing; not verified for accuracy by this author.)

Modest but handsome tum-of-the-century Neo-Colonial style house with large wraparound one-story porch supported by bulbous Tuscan columns on brick plinths. Although several additions have been made to the rear, it appears that the rear one-story wing with plygonal south facade is original. Mrs. Franck, who has occupied the house since 1939, has sympathetically renovated the interior.

Comments

Ms. Franck, founder of the Martha Franck Fragrance Garden on the campus of the Governor Morehead School for the Blind in Raleigh, lived in the house from 1939-1984, at which time it became the property of Duke University, who rented it out as student housing. It was later sold to us in 1999 as part of the Duke University Trinity Heights revitalization project that converted a number of existing student occupied houses to single family homes and added a number of new houses and condominiums for purchase by Duke employees. The current owners added a number of interior amenities, while maintaining the character of the original aesthetics both inside and on the exterior. The house was featured in the 2007 Preservation Durham 11th Annual Old Durham Tour.

Add new comment