104 WEST PARRISH STREET

/sites/default/files/images/2007_3/parrish_nw_1922.jpg/sites/default/files/images/2007_3/parrishstnorth_1924.jpg/sites/default/files/images/2007_3/106-108WParrish_1923.jpg/sites/default/files/images/2007_3/106_108WParrish_1960.jpg/sites/default/files/images/2007_3/201_205_NMangum_BooneDrugs.jpg

104 WEST PARRISH STREET

104
,
Durham
NC
Cross street: 
Built in
1908
Local historic district: 
National Register: 
Neighborhood: 
Type: 

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

Last updated

  • Wed, 07/06/2011 - 4:34pm by gary

Location

United States
35° 59' 45.0312" N, 78° 54' 1.6128" W
US

Comments

104
,
Durham
NC
Cross street: 
Built in
1908
Local historic district: 
National Register: 
Neighborhood: 
Type: 

 

The building at 104 West Parrish St. was constructed in 1908.


West Parrish from Orange St., looking northwest, 1922.


A bird's-eye view of Parrish Street, looking northwest, 1924.
(Courtesy Duke Archives)

106 West Parrish, the brick building on the northwest corner of Orange St. and West Parrish, was built by William P. Clements for his office. According to a publication by the Merchants' Association, he was "an extensive dealer in real estate."

108 West Parrish St., immediately to the west of the Clements building, was built by the North Carolina Mutual and Provident Association to provide additional office space for their growing company.


Above, a view of the upper floors, looking northeast, 1923.
(Courtesy Duke Archives)

NC Mutual soon took over the Clements building as well for their district office. 106 West Parrish housed the Reformer Publishing Company, which printed the Durham Reformer and the NC Mutual company newspaper The North Carolina Mutual

By the 1950s, Rose's Furniture had moved into these storefronts.


Looking northeast, 1960
(Courtesy Duke Archives)


Looking northwest, 1963. Orange St. is on the left, N. Mangum on the right. A partial view of the side of the Clements building is visible past Boone Drugs.

Below, a view of both buildings, 1962.

Rose's furniture had closed by the 1970s

Looking northwest, 1978.

Today, 106 West Parrish has been boarded/vacant for some time, but it has been purchased by Center Studio Architecture. 108 West Parrish contains both businesses and residence(s?).

Looking northwest, 2007

Add new comment