References in the 1891 deed of trust between Samuel Linton Leary and Mr. H. J. Webb for the Leary-Colletta House next door indicate that 813 Cleveland Street at that time was owned and occupied by S. T. Holloway, who probably had it built in the 1880s. The two- story, one-room-deep main block of the house with a triple-A roofline is enlarged with a two-story hip-roofed wing across the rear and two one-story gable-roofed rear ells. Pointed arched lintels appear at all of the windows and at the entrance, which has double doors and a two-paned transom in a segmental arch.
A circa 1892 photograph reveals that the house originally had elaborate ornamental bargeboard bracing in all of the attic gables. The lattice work between the paired posts of the hip-roofed front porch appears to be a fairly recent addition. JW Hutchins succeeded Holloway here around the turn of the century. Hutchins was a butcher at the City Market (beef market) until the late 1910s when he became vice president of City Ice and Coal; he died in the early 1920s.
The house was divided it into several efficiency apartments by the 1980s.