ORIGINAL GIRLS' DORMITORY - NORTH CAROLINA COLLEGE / NCCU

NRTSC_1_1920s.jpgnccu_audandgirlsdorm_1922.jpgnccu_1937.jpg

ORIGINAL GIRLS' DORMITORY - NORTH CAROLINA COLLEGE / NCCU

,
Durham
NC
Built in
1910
/ Demolished in
1951-1956
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
Neighborhood: 
Type: 

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

Last updated

  • Wed, 01/02/2013 - 2:44pm by gary

Location

United States
35° 58' 25.7772" N, 78° 54' 1.818" W
US

Comments

,
Durham
NC
Built in
1910
/ Demolished in
1951-1956
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
Neighborhood: 
Type: 

 

 

NRTSC_1_1920s.jpgGirls' Dormitory
(Courtesy Duke Rare Book and Manuscript Collection)
 
nccu_audandgirlsdorm_1922.jpg
The Auditorium, with the Girls' Dormitory in the background, 1922.
(Courtesy Duke Rare Book and Manuscript Collection)
 
In 1923, the North Carolina State Legislature appropriated funds for the purchase and operations of the school, and the school was renamed the "Durham State Normal School." By 1925, it was renamed the "North Carolina College for Negroes" with a focus on liberal arts education and preparation of teachers and principals for secondary schools. 
 
The inclusion into the UNC system provided the funds to significantly upgrade the facilities on campus, authorized by the General Assembly in 1927. Per NCCU's official history, the support of Governor Angus McClean was an important factor in the appropriation, and the financial support of Benjamin Duke and "contributions of the citizens of Durham" allowed the facilities expansion to move forward.
 
 Initially, this was done while retaining some of the original structures on campus; notably the Boys' Dormitory, the Auditorium, and the original Girls' Dormitory were retained, while new masonry structures designed by architects Atwood and Nash, replaced the Administration Building and  Dining Hall, and provided a new Gymnasium and Girls' Dormitory. 

The original Girls' Dormitory became an additional Boys' Dormitory.

 

nccu_1937.jpg
Campus Map - 1937, showing the remaining older structures towards the southwest corner, and a new cluster of structures arrayed around the new circular drive off of Fayetteville Street. The original Girls' Dormitory, now labeled a Boys' Dormitory, is near the bottom.
 
The building was demolished between 1951 and 1955 as part of ongoing campus expansion.

Add new comment