(From Triangle Modernist Houses):
Robert Winston Carr attended UNC Chapel Hill in 1940 and an earned an architecture degree at the University of Pennsylvania in 1943. He spent three years in the Navy during World War II, including Naval Architecture training at the University of Michigan, then entered the firm of his dad, George Watts Carr (below).
The elder Carr developed a large tract near Forest Hills Park that became Beverly Drive. He named it after his family's home in Beverly MD, an area now absorbed by Baltimore. Along Beverly Drive, Robert Carr designed a number of Modernist homes, including his current house, below.
In 1962, the firm became Carr, Harrison, Pruden & DePasquale. Their office was famously in the penthouse of the Central Carolina Bank building (now SunTrust), the tallest in downtown Durham for many years.
In 1977 Frank DePasquale left. In 1981, the firm was renamed Robert Winston Carr, Inc. Associated Architects with projects including the North Carolina School for Science and Math, the North Carolina Maritime Museum, the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences, and the Duke Art Museum. As of 2008, Carr was semi-retired. His son Edgar Carr continued the practice.