126 WEST CHAPEL HILL STREET / CORNER GREAT JONES

/sites/default/files/images/2007_1/FivePoints_W_sborn_1913.jpg/sites/default/files/images/2007_1/GreatJones_WMain_SEcorner_093025.jpg/sites/default/files/images/2007_1/gasstations_gj3.jpg/sites/default/files/images/2007_1/gasstations_gj2.jpgwchst_greatjones.jpeg

126 WEST CHAPEL HILL STREET / CORNER GREAT JONES

126
,
Durham
NC
Cross street: 
Local historic district: 
National Register: 
Neighborhood: 

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

  • This building does not appear in any tours yet.

Last updated

  • Sun, 07/10/2011 - 12:14am by gary

Comments

126
,
Durham
NC
Cross street: 
Local historic district: 
National Register: 
Neighborhood: 

 

The 'wide end' of the western Five Points was residential property until the early-mid 1920s


1913 Sanborn map showing the western triangle of Five Points and the large residential structure at its western end.

By 1925, the large house had been torn down, and the land was set for auction.


Looking southeast from Great Jones St. and West Main St., 09.30.25

The land was eventually subdivided into three parcels, two gas stations and a small commercial building.

The service station at the corner of Great Jones and West Chapel Hill Street was converted into a cool little office for the Booth real estate and insurance company by the early 1960s.

wchst_greatjones.jpeg
Looking northwest, 1968
(Courtesy Durham County Library / North Carolina Collection)

NEGreatJones_WChapelHill_1969.jpeg
Looking north, ~1969.
(Courtesy Durham County Library / North Carolina Collection)

But the urban renewal folks had other ideas.

wchst_greatjones_2006.jpeg

The combination of the railroad underpass and the Loop present a formidable psychological barrier to the pedestrian who would consider walking downtown from the West End. Two empty corners at Great Jones St. don't help.

Add new comment