(Below in italics is from the 2003 Lakewood Park National Register listing; not verified for accuracy by this author.)
Gunter-Latta House. Pyramidal cottage with weatherboards, entrance with sidelights, 1/1 sash windows, a front cross gable with a louvered vent, and a hipped porch with replacement boxed posts. E. T. Gunter sold the house to Edward J. Latta, owner of Latta Roofing Co., in 1912. A granite retaining wall extends along the front yard. [1925 CD, interview; Durham Co. DB 37, 259; 42, 331]
Gunther owned a grocery store near Shepherd and Proctor Streets. After only a few years living there he sold the home to Latta for $360. The Lattas owned 2 other homes on this block during the same time period, the southern half of this block. By the late 1920s the Rev. Lloyd W. Teague (Lakewood Baptist Church) was living in the home at 1419 James Street with his wife Averie.