1814 CECIL STREET

1814 CECIL STREET

1814
,
Durham
NC
Built in
1964
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
National Register: 
Neighborhood: 
Type: 
Use: 

Comments

No comments yet.

Add new comment

In tours

  • This building does not appear in any tours yet.

Last updated

Comments

1814
,
Durham
NC
Built in
1964
Architectural style: 
Construction type: 
National Register: 
Neighborhood: 
Type: 
Use: 

 

Photograph taken by Cheri Szcodronski, National Historic District Submission, January 2018

 

Located at the west end of Cecil Street, this one-story, side-gabled Ranch house is four bays wide and double-pile with a projecting front-gabled wing on the right (north) end of the façade. The house has a brick veneer with vertical wood sheathing in the gables and on the left (south) half of the façade. It has aluminum slider windows, rectangular louvered vents in the gables, and an interior brick chimney. The replacement door has fluted glass sidelights and is sheltered by an inset porch on the left side of the projecting wing, supported by decorative metal posts. To the left of the entrance is a thirty-light, metal-frame bow window. A shallow, inset porch at the left end of the façade has been enclosed with vinyl windows over a plywood-covered half-wall. There is a gabled carport on the left elevation supported by decorative metal posts and a gabled ell at the right rear (northwest). County tax records date the house to 1964 and  was built for Nathan Garrett, a CPA, and his wife, Wanda Garrett, an English teacher at Hillside High School, in the early 1960s.  Mr. Garrett was the first African American certified public accountant in North Carolina.

James Tucker and Caroline Tucker sold the lot and house to the Garretts on June 11, 1965.  Mr. and Mrs. Garrett lived in the house until 1984.  They have remained owners of this property and it is rental property.   

Add new comment