Frank and Harriet Kenan House
3124 Surrey Road, ca. 1940, ca. 1998, Noncontributing Building
George Watts Carr, architect
W. Hutch Johnson, renovation architect
Two-story, side-gabled, brick Colonial Revival house with one-and-a-half-story side-gabled wings flanking the two-story center section, 6/6 sash, and substantial late-twentieth-century additions that include one-story front-gabled wings at both side elevations and full-width flat-roofed porch at facade with double-height gabled portico at center. Rear elevation overlooks the sixth (originally fifteenth) green and features large gabled and shed-roofed wings, also part of the remodel.
The 1941 city directory first lists Frank and Harriet Kenan in Hope Valley. Frank Kenan was president of Kenan Oil and Kenan Transport Company. Kenan Oil sold Pure Oil at the Pure Oil Station on Hillsborough Road