1711 FAYETTEVILLE ST.

mystery_060409.jpeg

1711 FAYETTEVILLE ST.

1900-1925
/ Demolished in
1970-1980
Architectural style:

Comments

• Submitted by wren on Thursday, June 4, 2009 - 8:05am

That looks SO familiar. I just know I'm going to kick myself when someone ID's it!

• Submitted by Natalie and Harris on Thursday, June 4, 2009 - 12:56pm

where in Durham did they have rounded curbs?

• Submitted by Anonymous on Thursday, June 4, 2009 - 1:01pm

looks to be holloway st and present day elizabeth st

• Submitted by Gary on Thursday, June 4, 2009 - 1:13pm

Anon

No, I don't think so. 3 of the 4 corners of Holloway and Elizabeth had two story houses, and the single corner with a one story house (southeast) is a more elaborate, double-front gable house than the one immediately visible in the photo.

• Submitted by Paul on Thursday, June 4, 2009 - 1:44pm

The Chevrolet on the left is from 1970. The Chevrolet on the right (blocked by the other) is from 1970-72.

• Submitted by Michael Bacon on Thursday, June 4, 2009 - 6:14pm

I'm stabbing in the dark here, but could it be somewhere like Fayetteville and Linwood? It just feels like Fayetteville St. near Central to me.

• Submitted by Michael Bacon on Thursday, June 4, 2009 - 6:59pm

Okay, Gary, since you're a doctor, I need you to write a note to my boss excusing me for spending time on this... :) This is a real long shot, and I don't know the history, but the terrain and road widths are about right.

(I'm pretty sure this is the one I had in my head, but the trees and the houses aren't quite right.)

• Submitted by Anonymous on Thursday, June 4, 2009 - 7:57pm

I was confident it was the corner of Fayetteville & Massey looking north-east. I went over there today & found a grassy knoll with trees & a NCCU parking lot behind.

1400 Fayetteville or so.

Maybe McMannen & Cora or
    Ramsey & Pickett or
    Proctor & S. Roxboro.

I love this game.

• Submitted by Gary on Thursday, June 4, 2009 - 10:28pm

Wow, Michael - I think you nailed it. I pulled up a 1950s Bird's Eye photo that includes that stretch from my archive, and I'd say it looks like a 98% match.

Strong work.

Gary

• Submitted by Marsosudiro on Friday, June 5, 2009 - 1:02pm

Man, you guys are so brilliant, I can't even see the match when you've told me the answer.

Could someone give me additional info on (a) which of Michael's links is correct, (b) how to line up the direction of the streets in the original mystery photo, Google Maps, and the bird's eye view?

Many thanks. Seriously, this is killing me. And seriously, Michael is brilliant.

• Submitted by Gary on Friday, June 5, 2009 - 1:26pm

Sorry Phil, I should have clarified - the first link, looking northeast from the corner of Lawson and Fayetteville Sts. On the bird's eye, you can see the roof patterns match the two houses on the right in the (former) mystery photo. You can even see the sun reflection off the bench in the front yard.

• Submitted by David N. on Friday, June 5, 2009 - 3:40pm

Gary, here's an idea:

How about an Endangered Durham scavenger hunt? You post some older photos of buildings that still exist, and people armed with digital cameras go out and try to find as many as possible.

It's just an idea, but I thought there might be a way to turn this into a fun fundraiser for Preservation Durham or some similar non-profit.

• Submitted by Michael Bacon on Friday, June 5, 2009 - 7:01pm

Cool! I also have to say, it's hard to tell, but I think those street trees are sycamores, which I don't see much of anymore.

• Submitted by Atheena01 on Friday, July 15, 2022 - 9:39am

This is the location of the present day Communications Building at NCCU.  The Alex Rivera House (1712 Fayetteville Street) sat directly across the street. According to the 1930 and 1940 US Census, it was the home of Reverend James A. Whitted who was the first African-American postal worker in Durham and his wife Tempie, who along with Harriet Whitted Shepard, established the Missionary Society at White Rock Baptist Church.

/Reverend/ James Anderson WhittedTempie Cameron/Jordan

• Wed, 01/02/2013 - 2:43pm by gary

Comments

1900-1925
/ Demolished in
1970-1980
Architectural style:

mystery_060409.jpeg
(Courtesy Durham County Library / North Carolina Collection)

Looking northeast, late 1960s/early 1970s.

Comments

where in Durham did they have rounded curbs?

looks to be holloway st and present day elizabeth st