Tourgoers on our 16th annual tour can explore homes in several popular styles, including Colonial and Tudor Revivals from the 1920s and Modernist houses from the 1950s. Seven homes and two gardens are included in this year's tour, all within easy walking distance of each other.
Homes on the tour include the following:
Hugh Edward White, an office manager at Liggett & Myers Tobacco Company, and his wife Anne Parker purchased the lots at 1506 Hermitage and constructed the grand, Colonial Revival-style house about 1924.
ROBERT A. FETZER HOUSE
Kitty Moses and Ken Soo’s Spanish Colonial Revival home at 1523 Hermitage Court sits in the middle of a wonderfully designed yard and garden. This is due to careful choices and expert planning that have transformed this half acre property into one of Forest Hill’s most interesting and beautiful landscapes.
EUGENE J. HELLEN HOUSE
This steep-roofed Tudor Revival house is an excellent example both of the style - which was based on idealized English Elizabethan cottages – and of the development of Forest Hills as a premier suburb.
Situated on a slight hill on a large parcel of land overlooking Forest Hills Park, the welcoming Coppridge-Hobart House exemplifies the restful graciousness of the city estate. Built in 1925 for Dr. and Mrs. William Maurice Coppridge, the Tudor Revival home has been lovingly cared for throughout its 87 years. The home has had only three owners, all of whom have been physicians.
15 OAK DR. - GEORGE WATTS CARR HOUSE
From the front, 15 Oak Drive looks like a typical early-20th century Colonial Revival style house. But a surprise awaits in the back garden, which is full of sculpture by homeowner Guy Solie.
THOMAS A. STOKES HOUSE
The Thomas A. Stokes House – one of the finest examples of Tudor Revival architecture in Forest Hills - is situated atop a hill overlooking East Forest Hills Drive and the Forest Hills Park. The sizable parcel of land on which the home sits, and the impressive number of mature trees surrounding it, combine to give the home a feeling of a country home. For the current owners, this sense of living in the country within the city is what lends their home its special appeal.
KATHERINE AND ALLAN H. GILBERT HOUSE
Allan Gilbert and his wife, Mary, commissioned this quaint Tudor Revival style from George Watts Carr, Sr, because they wanted a similar house to the one they had occupied with their sons Everett and Creighton when they lived in Austria. Gilbert taught English at Duke for many years, was an avid art and antique collector and was considered a true “Renaissance” man. He and his second wife, Beverly, lived in the house until the early 1990s. The current homeowners are the third family to live in the house.
Stewart and Jane Alexander Jr Residence
The Stewart and Jane Alexander house was built by Jane Alexander's brother from Tennessee. This ranch brick house has a 2-story center block, slab floor, a flat roof, a recessed entrance, and a 1-story left side wing. In 2000, the house was sold to and renovated by Douglas "Casey" Herbert and Kathleen Bennett. The original architect is unknown, but Carrboro architect Giles Blunden designed replacement casement windows and a latticework brick wall that screens the original carport at the left side.
MILDRED & DILLARD TEER HOUSE
When Mildred and Dillard Teer decided to leave their traditional home in Trinity Park and build on their Beverly Drive lot, they were not wedded to a style concept, but they knew they wanted an open floor plan with public spaces flowing into one another. They took their ideas to architect and friend, Robert Winston Carr. Carr, no stranger to the colonial and other revival styles that were the bread and butter of the firm founded by his father, George Watts Carr, determined that this project demanded something other than a traditional style house. Instead, Carr chose a modernist design that is now called the American International or Contemporary Style. Its emphasis on long horizontals and irregular massing allowed him to fully exploit the dramatic, steeply sloping site.