1981 (Durham County Library)
(Below in italics is from the 1984 National Register listing; not verified for accuracy by this author.)
For many years, this small one story brick building at the edge of the Norfolk and Western Railroad tracks served as a grocery store for the North Durham and Duke Park neighborhoods. The standard storefront of plate glass windows flanking double doors is augmented by a full facade porch with molded fascia and box cornices reminiscent of neoclassical styling. In 1923, J.B. Mason, president of the Citizens National Bank,who lived at 1007 North Mangum Street, hired contractor Lonnie Glosson to build the store. Until 1945, it was occupied by the grocery of H. Perry Carpenter, who lived across the street at 1213 North Mangum Street. Then the business changed hands a couple of times and eventually was managed by Clyde Copley until he moved his store to the corner of East Trinity Avenue and North Roxboro Street in the mid-1950s. After standing empty for almost twenty- five years, the life of the building was extended in 1980 with an award-winning adaptive reuse as an "efficiency" dwelling.
The building was again abandoned and re-renovated in the mid-2000s.
02.12.11 (Gary Kueber)
08.17.13 (Gary Kueber)