Cleveland Street

Cleveland Street was the original route of the Roxboro-Fayetteville road, which, from Main Street (the Hillsborough-Raleigh Road) wended north on Church Street, around the Trinity Methodist Church, and northward. By 1881, the blocks south of where present-day Seminary intersects (then Hutchins, later Wyatt) were called "Person Street" (as in the County) and the blocks north Roxboro Road. By 1887, the entire section between Church and Mangum Street has been renamed Cleveland Street after Grover Cleveland (per Wyatt Dixon,) who had been elected POTUS in 1885.

The southern blocks of Cleveland Street were completely screwed up by the downtown Loop, so that Cleveland no longer connects with the downtown street grid, accessible only from the one-way west Loop. The remnant of the intersection with Church Street and Liberty Streets (also severed) remains as a kind of driveway next to Trinity Methodist Church.

/sites/default/files/images/2007_11/304Cleveland_E_1966.jpg
Added: Thu, 12/13/2007 - 6:26am
By: gary
booneapts_beforefire.jpg
Added: Thu, 08/09/2007 - 8:03am
By: gary
/sites/default/files/images/2007_7/planterswarehouse_1960s.jpg
Added: Mon, 07/23/2007 - 4:41am
By: gary
/sites/default/files/images/2007_7/firstbaptist_Cleveland_1924.jpg
Added: Thu, 07/19/2007 - 12:13pm
By: gary
/sites/default/files/images/2007_7/fuller_1906.jpg
Added: Wed, 07/18/2007 - 12:04pm
By: gary
/sites/default/files/images/2006_9/LittleFivePoints_1926.jpg
Added: Fri, 09/01/2006 - 11:48am
By: gary
firestation1_N_1960s.jpg
Added: Tue, 08/29/2006 - 11:45am
By: gary
Added: Mon, 08/28/2006 - 1:02pm
By: gary
801 Cleveland St., February 1966
Added: Fri, 08/25/2006 - 9:09am
By: gary
905cleveland1980.jpeg
905 CLEVELAND (building)
Added: Wed, 08/23/2006 - 12:17am
By: gary