Cleveland Street

Cleveland Street was the original route of the Roxboro-Fayetteville road, which, from Main Street (the Hillsborough-Raleigh Road) wended north on Church Street, around the Trinity Methodist Church, and northward. By 1881, the blocks south of where present-day Seminary intersects (then Hutchins, later Wyatt) were called "Person Street" (as in the County) and the blocks north Roxboro Road. By 1887, the entire section between Church and Mangum Street has been renamed Cleveland Street after Grover Cleveland (per Wyatt Dixon,) who had been elected POTUS in 1885.

The southern blocks of Cleveland Street were completely screwed up by the downtown Loop, so that Cleveland no longer connects with the downtown street grid, accessible only from the one-way west Loop. The remnant of the intersection with Church Street and Liberty Streets (also severed) remains as a kind of driveway next to Trinity Methodist Church.

704cleveland_2_090958.jpg
Added: Thu, 03/29/2012 - 1:05pm
By: gary
406-410Cleveland_1961.jpg
Added: Sun, 01/22/2012 - 11:17am
By: gary
401Cleveland_1960.jpg
Added: Sun, 01/22/2012 - 11:13am
By: gary
405Cleveland_1960.jpg
Added: Sun, 01/22/2012 - 10:55am
By: gary
413Cleveland_1952.jpg
Added: Sun, 01/22/2012 - 10:35am
By: gary
411Cleveland_1960.jpg
Added: Sun, 01/22/2012 - 10:02am
By: gary
507Cleveland_0166.jpg
Added: Wed, 01/11/2012 - 9:01am
By: gary
410Cleveland_1960s.jpg
Added: Wed, 01/11/2012 - 8:44am
By: gary
707Cleveland_0266.jpg
Added: Mon, 01/02/2012 - 10:47am
By: gary
819Cleveland_0266.jpg
Added: Mon, 01/02/2012 - 9:51am
By: gary